Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Cake

I had to post this recipe because it is one of my few baking successes in the recent past and I've been seriously doubting my baking "ability" I think I should just stick to cooking. I made some jam bars earlier this week, followed the directions to a tee and the bars turned out super dry and a little crunchy... yuck!

BUT! Chalk another one up for Shelby over at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. She manages to always find the best Cooking Light recipes!! This blueberry crumb cake was SO moist and SO flavorful. I doubled the amount of crumb topping, because I'm a crumby kind of girl (teehee!!). It probably didn't need that much, but it was still delicious! I took this up to Traverse City for the Leland Wine and Food Festival and four of us devoured it for breakfast the morning of the event. I will def be making this one again!

Cooking Spray
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk (see note below)
1 cup blueberries

Crumb Topping
(these are the original measurements)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Note: I was worried about having to buy buttermilk and then not using it for much else, so I looked up what to substitute for buttermilk and I learned how to make my own! Me = SUPER EXCITED! Now, I can finally make buttermilk pancakes! The simple way is to take 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a large measuring cup and then fill with milk to the one cup line. Use only as much as your recipe calls for.

Aaaannndd BREAK! OK, back to the recipe...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. I used a 9 inch square glass baking dish, which worked equally as well.

Line the bottom with wax paper, and coat the wax paper with cooking spray. (I skipped this)

Beat 2/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed of a mixer until blended (about 5 minutes). Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon 1 1/3 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in blueberries.

Pour into prepared pan. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle sugar mixture over batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

WW Points per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 6 points


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so good! And it's even better that it's from Cooking Light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete