Thursday, October 1, 2009

DIY Dresser Makeover

Ever since I discovered the DIY Show Off a few months ago, my creative juices have been flowing. So, when I saw this old, beat up dresser on Craigslist, I figured it would be the perfect piece to test out my new interest.

I paid $40 for this puppy. It sat in the garage for a few weeks, while I stewed about color.


We removed the hardware and gave it a good sanding before painting it. Despite my suggestion to use spray paint, like most of the DIYers, Mr. Tote insisted on using regular, semi-gloss paint. Fine. He likes to paint, so he ended up painting most of it. We purchased a gallon of the white so we can use it on other projects. With Mr. Tote's connections, the gallon cost $22 (normally $40). The white is some kind of "Seashell White" from O'Leary's/Caulkins (Forgive me. I have a head cold and can't remember for the life of me what the name of the color is) and the top is Valspar's Fired Earth. The white has just a bit of gray in it and the dark color is a very, very dark brown/gray, but not black. We bought a paint sample size of the Valspar for $4. The hardware is from Menard's. I got a great deal on these, at only 99 cents each! They are brushed nickel with black streaks.

Total cost for this project was $74, but we have enough white paint to paint every piece of furniture I set my sights on for the next year.




I'm sending this off to Roeshel at the DIY Show Off and will be participating in her surprise party. FUN!



4 comments:

  1. Hi there. The dresser looks fabulous!!!!
    I love the contrast.

    XO*Tricia

    P.S. Is that you in your wedding dress in the water?! My goodness, gracious!! You may just be the most exciting bride on the planet!!! ;) Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You guys did an amazing job with it and such a great deal! It's gorgeous! I love it in white - so many pretty details that I couldn't see in the before photo and the hardware you chose is awesome!

    Thanks so much for adding your inspirational dresser to the Show & Tell!

    Feel better! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete