Saturday, June 27, 2009

Teriyaki Chinese Long Beans with Almonds

I've had my eye on these Chinese Long Beans at our local market for quite some time. They are so unique-looking and always remind me of an internet sensation I heard about in college named Salad Fingers. Observe...


See!?!? The Chinese long beans look just like Salad Finger's fingers! If you haven't seen the Salad Fingers videos and don't get disturbed easily, I encourage you to watch his escapades, which can be found here. If you are easily disturbed, please reconsider watching the videos. You've been warned...


Teriyaki Chinese Long Beans with Almonds
1 bunch Chinese long beans
3 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp splenda
1 tsp corn starch
3 tsp COLD water
Slivered almonds

Steam the long beans in a pot of water, using a steamer basket. In a separate bowl, combine the soy sauce, Splenda, corn starch and cold water.

In a small sautee pan, over low heat, toast the almonds.

After the beans are done (about 5 minutes), strain them and return them to the original pot, sans the water and the heat. Dump in the soy sauce mixture and let the residual heat from the pot and the beans help thicken the sauce. If you need to, turn the heat on low to help it thicken. Add in the almonds, toss and serve ‘em up hot!
I served them with one of my favorites, Peanut Butter Chicken Stir Fry.


1 comment:

  1. Lol @ salad fingers! I know these beans all too well. My mom planted these in her garden years ago and I remember having to take care of them when I was young. We call them "Sitaw" (pronounced: see-tao) and use them quite a bit in various ethnic dishes like stews and soups. I'll have to give this recipe a try - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete