Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mongolian Pork

I have been so excited to try this recent recipe from Elly over at Elly Says Opa. So when I was craving chinese take out, I knew this would be the perfect fix. One problem... no steak lying around. Solution... two pork center cut loin chops!! I did nothing else to modify the recipe, other than the meat.

This dish tasted amazing with brown rice. Mr. Tote commented on how tender the pork was. We will definitely be having this again. I can't wait to try it with some steak.

2 pork chops, sliced thin.
3 Tbsp. corn starch
3 tsp. canola oil, divided
1/2 tsp. grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2-3 large scallions, sliced

Pat the pieces of pork and make sure they’re dry; then, toss the meat and cornstarch together. Be sure all pieces are fully coated, but shake off excess corn starch. Mix together the soy sauce, water, brown sugar and red pepper flakes.

Heat half the oil in a wok at medium-high heat and add the ginger and garlic. Once fragrant (30 seconds or so), add the soy sauce mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes and transfer to a bowl.

Turn the heat up on the wok and add the remaining oil. Add the pork and cook, stirring until just browned. Pour the sauce back in and let it cook with the meat. Let the sauce thicken to your liking, and then add the green onions in just before plating.


5 comments:

  1. I love mongolian beef (or, pork-hehe)but I've never made it. I think I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made this with some extra pork chops we had and it was SOOO good! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete