Monday, February 16, 2009

Chicken Roll Ups

I saw this recipe in a magazine while I was getting my hair done last week. I can't remember the name of the magazine and I just went fro memory on the ingredients. This dish turned out great. However, I may think of something besides the bread crumbs for coating. It gave the chicken a nice crust, but made it slightly difficult to cut, especially with the soft, cheesy center.

2 thin chicken cutlets (or one large boneless skinless breast, cut lengthwise)
2 Tbsp herb cheese spread (like boursin or rondele. I used Philadephia Cheese Spreads Parmesan with Garlic and Herbs because it was about half the price as the others)
1/2 red bell pepper, roasted (see instructions below)
Bread crumbs
Nonstick cooking spray

To roast the pepper, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the half pepper skin side up on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until at least some of the skin is blackened. Cool completely and then carefully remove the skin. Most of it should come right off. Slice into thin strips.

Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.

Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan until they are uniform in thickness and thin enough to roll (I'd say about half an inch thick at most).

Spread each piece with about a tablespoon of cheese and top with red pepper.

Starting from the shorter end, roll up and secure chicken with wooden toothpicks. Coat the chicken with nonstick spray and roll in the bread crumbs.

Place the chicken in a baking dish, coated with nonstick spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with your choice of sides. We served this with a cauliflower/kale mix and some potato cakes, made with leftover mashed potatoes. I'm not even going to post the recipe for the mashed potato cakes because I thought they tasted dry and I didn't like them at all. Ozzy endEd up with a nice treat *wink wink*

P.S. Stay tuned to Valentine's Day menu review! Just waiting to get my hands on the camera cord for uploading.


No comments:

Post a Comment