Thursday, December 10, 2009

Spritz!


I remember my mom making these with her cookie press when we were little and I love that I can still make these in my own kitchen. I love using my Goodwill-find, unused Wilton Cookie Press for $2 (score!!) and a photocopied page from Betty Crocker's 1963 Cooky Book. See, my mother won't give me her Cooky Book, just make copies of the pages I need for any given project (*ack! Christmas gift! cegchhhhh ack!*).
This was the first time I used my new Wilton cookie press and I absolutely love it! Unlike my mom's, this one is just like a caulk gun and dispenses the perfect amount of dough with each squeeze. My mom's press may be metal as opposed to my plastic version, but it also requires a precise quarter to one half turn per cookie to dispense the dough. I had issues getting approximately the same amount of dough to dispense for each cookie using her press, so (no offense, mom) I am glad I have one that is friendly for the baking-challenged.

I will now transcribe what Ms. Betty Crocker herself describes as "How to Make Perfect Pressed Cookies."

Mix dough as directed - doughs for pressed cookies are high in shortening. Dough must be pliable. If very warm, chill for a short time. (If too cold, it crumbles.) Using 1/4 at a time, place dough in cooky press. Force dough through cooky press, following manufacturers' directions, on ungreased baking sheet. If baking sheet is too warm, fat in the dough will melt and cookies will pull away from sheet when press is lifted. Bake until set. Perfect pressed cookies have:
  • well-defined pattern and shape
  • tender, yet crisp eating quality
  • rich, buttery flavor

1 C butter or margarine
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp flavoring (almond or vanilla)
2 1/4 C flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix butter, sugar, egg, salt and flavoring thoroughly.

Work in flour. Using small amounts of dough at a time, force through the cooky press onto an ungreased baking sheet in desired shapes.

Bake 6-9 minutes, or until set but not brown.

I'm linking to The DIY Showoff's Show & Tell Holiday Food Edition.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Katie! Thanks for adding your YUMMY cookies to the show & tell! I'm going to have to make cookies this year too.

    Congratulations on winning!! Can you email me? I have a lot of Katie's in my email address book and I want to make sure I get it right! ;)

    Talk to you soon!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I've heard from several that they're having troubles with my code. I emailed Recessionista about it. Hopefully they'll extend the discount time. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them. I am SO sorry!! you can email me directly at craftaholic@rocketmail (dot) com if you want.
    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just heard from Recessionista, they are extending my discount all day. Their shoes are sold on Amazon and I guess Amazon has issues with the discount code. I'll let you know what's going on.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now for my millionith comment lol. What happened is Recessionista has had issues with Amazon and their discount codes, so they already reduced all their shoes prices to show up at the 30% off price, but never told me. The great news is they will honor the $45 price for those killer boots although that is 30% off the 30% off price!! So due to an error on their side, we are benefiting big time. So, email me and I'll get you in touch with my rep and she'll make sure we get the correct price.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom here. The spritz were delicious. Glad your new cooky press works good, and NO you can't have the cookie book. It belongs to your dad and he got it as a Cmas gift in 1971 from his mom. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE spritz. They are my favorite Christmas cookies ever, and an exception to my "if it's not chocolate, it's not worth it" dessert rule. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that's the book I grew up baking with my mom from! What a fun trip down memory lane, we've made those exact cookies too. Gotta love that they are green and red. It's just not the same otherwise! Have you made the twisted candy cane cookies? Those were my favorite, I'm going to have to see if my mom still has that cookbook when I see her tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete